We are really into the swing of summer - the perfect time to be thinking and eating local!! Vital Communities had this quote in their weekly newsletter, and it's just too good not to pass forward...
"To be local to a place includes two things primarily: it is to be involved—anxiously engaged in the goings on—and to be there, able to actually look upon the landscape, to care about a place enough that you are physically present... The definition of local I offer is simple, and rooted in the same emotion as the rugged individual myth: love. In loving a place, you tie your fate to its fate. It's a big risk to take to become a local." —Ky Osguthorpe, '19, COA Magazine
Here at Crossroad Farm eating locally and seasonally is so important! We appreciate the ebbs and flows of what the land provides for us - each week of the season we welcome new produce while saying goodbye to others.
This week we are bidding farewell to shell peas while welcoming the start of green beans. Cucumbers, both pickling and slicing are full on! We're also steadily harvesting broccoli and white cauliflower. Then of course, our delicious tomatoes are available - big reds, heirlooms and even some cherries!
Coming soon we'll have sweet peppers, eggplant and corn! If you stop by the Norwich Stand this weekend, you may see a sneak peak of early Killdeer corn - grown with lots of love and care from the folks at Killdeer Farm.
Produce Available at our Farm Stands:
- Beets - chioggia, gold & red
- Beet Greens
- Cabbage - green, red, savoy
- Cucumbers - pickling, slicing and tasty jade
- Garlic Scapes
- Green Garlic
- Green Onions
- Herbs - Basil, Chives, Cilantro, Dill, Parsley, Mint, and more
- Hot Peppers - mixed variety
- Kale - green, red & lacinato
- Lazy Lettuce
- Lettuce Heads - 5 Varieties
- Mesclun Mix
- Peas, sugar snap
- Potatoes, new - 4 varieties of red, white and blue
- Summer Squash
- Tomatoes - big red, cherry & heirlooms
- Zucchini - green & costata romanesco
- Green Beans - will be steady soon!
- Onions - fresh and cooking
- Sweet Peppers - early green peppers at Post Mills
Specialty & Local Items Available as well - a few include:
- Fruit - blueberries, cherries, apricots (may vary between Norwich & Post Mills)
- Maplebrook Mozzarella
- Red Hen Bread - Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday